- Weight all helium-filled foil balloons.
- Tie all ribbons to the weight so if they are released they will float away individually.
DO NOT tie ribbons together before attaching to weight. Tie them to the weight with one knot.
- Do not use metallic ribbon with helium-filled balloons.
California Balloon Law
CALIFORNIA LAW REQUIRES THAT STEPS BE TAKEN TO PROTECT ELECTRICAL POWER LINES FROM DAMAGE BY FOIL BALLOONS AND OTHER METALLIC BALLOON-RELATED ACCESSORIES. THE FOLLOWING STATES THE PENAL CODE THAT DETAILS THE EXACT WORDING OF THE LAW.CALIFORNIA FOIL BALLOON LAW
PENAL CODE SECTION 653.1 (a) No person shall sell or distribute any balloon that is constructed of electrically conductive material, and filled with a gas lighter than air without;
- Affixing an object of sufficient weight to the balloon or its appurtenance to counter the lift capability of the balloon.
- Affixing a statement on the balloon, or ensuring that a statement is so affixed, that warns the consumer about the risk if the balloon comes in contact with electrical power lines.
- A printed identification of the manufacturer of the balloon.
Balloon Law Resources
Responsible Balloon Retailer Form (175 KB pdf)
Download Smart Balloon Practices Tip Cards (256 KB pdf)
Latex Balloon Warning: Choking Hazard (58 KB pdf)
Hi-Res Balloon Council Label (2.12 MB pdf)